Hot Bliggity Blog HTML Background

Sunday, July 12, 2009

Something worth fighting for

"There's a storm comin' Harry, and we best be ready when she does."
--Rubeus Hagrid to Harry Potter, The Order of the Phoenix

The family and I have been catching up our Harry Potter moviewatching, in eager anticipation of the release of Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince this week. [Shameless plug, I know.]

Harry Potter is one of those film series that stirs up controversy in church circles. I am not quite certain why. I, for one, am a rabid fan. I plan to see Half-Blood Prince in the theater, and will savor every minute.

Mind you, I do not intend to attempt witchcraft, sorcery, or magic spells (nor do I believe in any such thing). Power that is not from God is usually from man (which is not truly power at all). Instead, when I watch the Harry Potter films, I identify with distinctly-Christian themes. Harry the not-so-young-anymore orphan, is isolated, troubled, and persecuted, and yet, finds mentors, family, friendship, and purpose, often in the most unusual circumstances.

Fans have witnessed Harry's character development from The Sorcerer's Stone (The Philosopher's Stone, for all you Brits out there) to The Order of the Phoenix. The blooms of innocence and wonderment have faded, and true character has begun to grow. Harry embraces outcasts, appreciating the true beauty that lies beneath a battered exterior or an eccentric reputation. He endures torture without complaint. He wrestles with expelling evil from his own mind and soul. He is willing to sacrifice himself for what he knows is right. He shows great respect for authority figures, at least those who are deserving of it. He resists fascism, questions the power-hungry, and seeks justice with an attitude of defense. He is not overtly vengeful to his enemies, sparing the life of a murderer, although he hates and pities the Dark Lord, the personification of evil.

Above all, I admire the tender fellowship that exists between Harry and his fellow Gryffindor classmates (much like Jesus' Twelve apostles), and Ron and Hermione truly represent Harry's 'inner Three'. Harry is shown loyalty, protection, and love by his friends and his professors alike. Sounds like the church. [OK, now I'm certain to be disfellowshipped...equating Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry with the Church.]

Obviously, as an adult, I am able to grasp the analogy and symbolism, but I've heard others raise concern about the impact Harry Potter might have on a juvenile audience. My nearly-7 year-old daughter understands the concepts of good and evil, death and life, justice, and perseverence, and we've allowed her a glimpse into the 'PG' world of the early HP movies. (Some of the more disturbing images of the latter 'PG-13' movies may need to wait a few years.) She recognizes that magic is not real, and played with a "magic wand" more readily after watching Cinderella than she did after the Harry Potter movies. When the time is right, I will offer my children the opportunity to watch this epic unfold. These stories reinforce many Biblical Christian attributes. I hope that my children can take their own misfortunes and create triumph, and stand up for what is right, while hating that which is evil and embracing the outcast.

It is all about perspective: one can look up at the night sky and see the majestic and glorious creation of God, or alternatively, bow to powerless nonsense in the name of astrology and superstition. When I look at the Harry Potter series, I do not see a dark magic that threatens to usurp the power of God over his creation. Instead, I am stirred at fellowship, humanity, love, family, and "something worth fighting for".

Truly the storm for Harry has only begun. I can't wait to watch it roll in.

1 comment:

  1. I couldn't agree more. Well spoken. By the way, have you read Twilight series yet? Tons of themes a Christian can pull out and just as addictive as HP!

    ReplyDelete