Hot Bliggity Blog HTML Background

Friday, January 21, 2011

Lie #2

The problem with expectations is that, when they fall apart, we are left questioning,  maybe even blaming.  Americans tend to believe that God wants us to be happy.  When we are not happy, we may blame someone, even God Himself. 

Here, I present Lie #2:

I will get to grow old with my spouse.


There is no doubt that I HOPE to grow old with my spouse.  It is a different thing entirely to EXPECT it.  Would you question God and His Divine purpose if your spouse were to die suddenly tomorrow?  Would you curse or hate Him?

(Incidentally I do not believe that God's purpose is to ensure my happiness.)

In Luke 20, the Sadducees try to stump Jesus with a pickle of a question.  I guess when you are a Sadducee, you hang out with your Sadducee buddies and debate various legalities.  I'll defer to Luke's storytelling:

28 "Teacher," they said, "Moses wrote for us that if a man's brother dies and leaves a wife but no children, the man must marry the widow and raise up offspring for his brother. 29 Now there were seven brothers. The first one married a woman and died childless. 30 The second and then the third married her, and in the same way the seven died, leaving no children. 32 Finally, the woman died too. 33 Now then, at the resurrection whose wife will she be, since the seven were married to her?" (Wow.  Kind of makes you wonder if they had a real-life application for this.  Doubtful.)

34 Jesus replied, "The people of this age marry and are given in marriage. 35 But those who are considered worthy of taking part in the age to come and in the resurrection from the dead will neither marry nor be given in marriage, 36 and they can no longer die; for they are like the angels. They are God's children, since they are children of the resurrection.


Does this mean that there will be no marriage in Heaven?  When I first read that, I was troubled. It seemed incongruent with the character of God.

The crux of the Old Testament is that God seeks out His people, creates a covenant bond with Israel, and remains faithful to that covenant despite Israel's unfaithfulness.  God also created the covenant of marriage, and expects us to keep that covenant as well.  Mark 10 says that "a man shall leave his father and mother 8  and the two shall become one flesh; so they are no longer two, but one flesh.  9 What therefore God has joined together, let no man separate" (emphasis mine).  

Does this mean that God can separate us?   
Would God separate us?

I love my husband Jon, and he is a monumental blessing in my life.  I do not believe that our lives are done when Jon and I depart this earth, thanks to the grace bestowed upon us by God through the death and resurrection of His son.  But I am not certain whether we will be husband and wife in Heaven; scripture may suggest otherwise.  But this I know:  God is everything good.  The things I love about Jon are, in a way, a reflection of part of the character of God.  Jon is the embodiment of blessing to me from God.  When my turn comes to meet my Maker, I will be in the presence of everything good, and will be at peace, and that is all that matters.

But I digress.

Does the world tell me that I will get to grow old with my spouse?
Do we expect it in such a way that we question our Maker when our spouse is taken from us 'before their time?'
What do you think?

3 comments:

  1. I ponder this often. No one on earth ever has or ever will understand me the way Scott does. The thought of us not "being one" for eternity saddens me; as does the thought of not growing old with him. However, as I've said before, I'm certain whatever God has in store for us in Heaven is far beyond what we can even imagine...married or not.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm really enjoying your series. Intrigued to see what lies are next. #1 is a lesson I too know well, and #2, I learned through my parents. I believe happiness is a by-product of obedience! Why do we expect these things? Is it American or Universal?

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ Jennifer-- just think: God knows you even better, and all the good things that you love in Scott are gifts of God. He is the piece that makes us truly complete.

    @ Kim-- These are both lessons you know well. (Marilyn probably doesn't remember me, but I've always considered her a pillar of faith.) I don't think these are universal expectations-- people in third world countries don't seem to expect these things. I think they are not necessarily American, but they do seem to be prevalent expectations in developed nations.

    ReplyDelete