Hot Bliggity Blog HTML Background

Saturday, January 22, 2011

Lie #3

Do you ever get the feeling like your life falls short of the expectations you have of it?  Do you feel like you are missing out on "the good life" as everyone refers to it?  Let's explore Lie #3:

Life should be without pain or trial.

I think most of us, when we sit and ponder this, agree that this is indeed, a lie.  Seems like a no-brainer.  But that is not how most of us live.

When we inherit a medical condition, we feel unjustly punished.  If we are injured on the job, we feel robbed not only of our former (uninjured) selves, but also our future earnings.  Shouldn't we be entitled to something?

Whether or not we are ambitious, most of us have a vision or foresight of what this life will bring to us:  I will be raised by loving parents.  I will go to school.  I will get my degree.  I will marry the right spouse.  I will have children.  I will fulfill my role in the world, and it will fulfill me.  I will watch my children grow up, and my spouse and I will grow old together.  (You may recall that I've already debunked those last two in my prior blogs this week.)  I will be healthy.  I will die a quick and painless death.  Burden is the last thing I wish to take upon my journey here.


Cancer does not fit into this plan.  Infertility is not a burden that we planned on.  Or, closer to home: we did not anticipate the hail storm which prompted a new roof and car repairs, which, mind you, were not in the budget.  I never thought that I would be disabled.  I won't ever need a nursing home-- I'll make sure my kids promise never....

Good, healthy people can be ravaged by Alzheimer's dementia.  Car accidents can forever change the course of a person's life, causing chronic pain, depression, sleep dysfunction, weight gain, disability, loss of a job, loss of a home, bankruptcy, and this list goes on.

Many of us attempt to exert control over certain aspects of our lives to prevent the unthinkable.  I spend responsibly, eat healthy, I am compliant with my doctor's advice, pay my taxes, wear my seatbelt.  But no matter how "good" we are, bad things can descend upon us, uninvited.

I could go on and on about Job, the righteous man who was subjected to the outstretched striking hand of God.  I'd rather use this verse, which sits on my computer monitor at work, as an hourly reminder:
Consider it pure joy, my brothers and sisters, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith produces perseverance.  (James 1:2-3)
Key words: joy, trials, testing, perseverance?  No; the key word is WHENEVER (notice it does not say "IF EVER").  We are guaranteed to have trials of many kinds.  Thankfully, trials, burdens, and pain are not a total loss (even though it seems like it at the time).  Numerous virtues spring forth at the expense of suffering:
And we rejoice in the hope of the glory of God.  Not only so, but we also rejoice in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance; perseverance, character; and character, hope.  (Romans 5: 2b-4)
Life should be without pain or trial.

You know this is a distortion of the truth, but have you ever reeled in shock when burden was placed upon you?  Who would we actually be without the trials and tribulations in our lives?

Blessed is the man who perseveres under trial, because when he has stood the test, he will receive the crown of life that God has promised to those who love him. (James 1:12)
Sailing Into a Storm (lawrence.ecorp.net)

1 comment:

  1. I feel like I'm behind on the whole lie series. But that would suggest I'm up to date on my blog stalking and well,that would be a lie. This particular topic hit me tonight. I seem to have no problem trying to share this idea with other people. I try to focus on the devil deceiving us into believing that this world is the end all for us. But I've recently been struggling with accepting this for myself. I guess I felt I had reached my quota of pain, too many holes in the heart. But what I think I've concluded (still obviously processing) is that despite some growth and maturity in my walk I'm still trying to fill those holes with things outside of Christ. Even though on a cognitive level I "know better." *Blast- I'm still a work in progress.

    ReplyDelete